Wednesday, 27 April 2016
Tuesday, 26 April 2016
A set of complete tank treads courtesy of Alan's formula which took a little bit of reverse engineering and patience to get right after a few attempts. I download a script to enable me to attach the joints to the NURBS curve then applied an IK Handle to make it seem like the joints move around the curve.
The rigging part of the project wasn't easy, I haven't done much rigging so it took a while to get right but I am happy with the results.
Monday, 25 April 2016
Thursday, 21 April 2016
I had to modify the process on xNormals for ambient occlusion to better use the UVs set out in the high-poly mesh.
Not all of the model has normal maps as some came out disfigured on the meshes but almost everything (par the bolts) has an ambient occlusion map attached.
The two principle shaders used were Lamberts and Phong shaders. I used Lamberts for most of the materials and used the Phong shader for shiny parts of the model.
Sunday, 17 April 2016
Creating this wasn't too difficult though in hindsight it would've been smarter to create it first.
Clearedfor non-4 edge polygons and UV checked as well.
The gas mask face piece and the brain were the hardest to downgrade to a low-poly mesh, on account of the large number of faces on the gas mask and the Mudbox smoothed version of the brain.
Friday, 15 April 2016
This process took a considerable amount of time as I had to go on a poly hunt and kill off any non 4-sided faces in order to make X-Normals work.
Sunday, 10 April 2016
I used the method for UV'ing the head and body in the Maya tutorials, this method works out really well.
After overcoming some initial challenges with separating and reattaching pieces of the mesh, unfolding the model is becoming easier.
Friday, 8 April 2016
This shows off the most recent modeling work on him; his main body, the unfinished tank treads and his hat and cigarette.
UV'ing this is not going to be easy.
Wednesday, 6 April 2016
When modelling I found that the actual design of the green box that holds Oppenheimer's dome was pretty uninteresting so I modified it to look more like an ammunition container.
Also, the "neck guard" didn't fit the gas mask design so I modified it to look more like tank armour that had been patch onto the box.